Pages

Friday, May 20, 2011

Chai Kuey - Restaurant Chua Siang Yean, Taman Kenari

Last week when I was back at my hometown, Dad showed me an article on chai kuey, written by the Chinese newspaper, Kwong Wah Jit Poh.

We have lived in Kulim for a long time but we never knew that Restaurant Chua Siang Yean (located at 212, Jalan Kenari 2, Taman Kenari) is famous for chai kuey. The only place we knew selling chai kuey is in Kelang Lama but I'm not a fan of their chai kuey as the skin is soggy.

Chai kuey before it's steamed
The next morning, after doing marketing at the wet market near the restaurant, Dad and I drop in to buy chai kuey (takeaway).

When we arrived at the shop, the boss was busy making the chai kuey which was steamed on the spot. They make 4 types of chai kuey;

Kucai (Chives) Chai Kuey
Kucai (chives) chai kuey

Sengkuang Chai Kuey
Sengkuang (turnip) chai kuey and sengkuang with chinese pasley chai kuey

Yam with ground peanut Chai Kuey
Yam with ground peanut chai kuey

We bought 3 pieces of each for breakfast. My favourites are the sengkuang and yam with ground peanut chai kuey. The chai kuey skin is very Q and the fillings very tasty.

Will definitely go back the next time I'm back at my hometown.

No comments:

Post a Comment